Free Counter
Radisson Hotel Coupons

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

My Country on Rt 30 (a rewrite by McDizzle and Me)

Through Southwest Vermont
Artisian and wood craft shops
Slow me to 40

At this speed I recognize
Curious relics of my history
The reality of those who created
My country
Hits me like a stack of maple covered buttermilks

Cooled by pats
Of unsalted butter

An odd grouping of tattered huts
Off-kilter, out of place
Appears around a bend
Like a hundred others
Low in the river valley

The winter recluses of a brave breed
Hauled ashore
From melting ice
For the off-season

Spring arrived in Vermont on March 24


jb (and McDizzle... Thanks McD!)

1 Comments:

Blogger McDizzle said...

Very nice! The word choice on "pats" is perfect. I like the way that word sounds when spoken aloud...

Also, good choice on ending with "spring arrived in Vermont on March 24" I wonder; shoud you leave vermont out of that line? You've already established the location in the first stanza...

Very nice work, my friend. you have a real feel for the important moments.

and thanks for the poem; i hope you realize how much that means to me...

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home